Re: [TowerTalk] 40 Wire Antennas for a City Lot?

To: "Eric Rosenberg" <wd3q@starpower.net>,"Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"w3dq@arrl.net" <w3dq@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40 Wire Antennas for a City Lot?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 18:38:34 -0600
On Wed,  1 Feb 2006 15:06:06 -0500 (EST), Eric Rosenberg wrote:

>I need advice for a 40m wire antenna in my 40ft/12m (E/W) x 144ft/44m
>(N/S) city lot, bordered by power and telco lines along the western
side.

>At the moment, I'm using an 80/40 Off Center Fed dipole (made by
>Fritzel), and for contesting it is, well.. mediocre!  Adding a rotatable
>dipole element to my roof-mounted C3-SS is, for the time being, a
>non-starter. I have a 160 inverted-L with 26 radials.

>Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Hello Eric,

Greetings from PA3-land (s'Hertogenbosch) where I just finished an EMC
lecture to the local AES chapter.

Take a look at the antenna pix on my website

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/K9YC/k9ycant.htm

We work regularly during contests, so you may remember what these wires
do for me. Not great, but not terrible either.

Your 160 rig works pretty well -- I was able to hear you well last winter
during CQ160CW when I worked it from W6BX (see qrz.com). With your lot, I
would try to put up a 2-wire or 3-wire dipole with full size elements for
80, 40, and 30 (if I could get supports where I needed them), and get it
as high as practical. And I would plot the wire carefully on a map to see
where the nulls lie. My 80/40 dipole is dead as a doornail on 80 heading
west, because it runs E/W, but it works great on 80 (and OK on 160) as a
top-loaded long wire against my iron fence as a counterpoise.
Surprisingly, the same dipole is "OK" on 40 going west, but is lousy
loaded as a long wire on 40.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC