Re: [TowerTalk] 40 Wire Antennas for a City Lot?

To: "Eric Rosenberg" <>,"Towertalk" <>,"" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40 Wire Antennas for a City Lot?
From: "Jim Brown" <>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 18:38:34 -0600
On Wed,  1 Feb 2006 15:06:06 -0500 (EST), Eric Rosenberg wrote:

>I need advice for a 40m wire antenna in my 40ft/12m (E/W) x 144ft/44m
>(N/S) city lot, bordered by power and telco lines along the western

>At the moment, I'm using an 80/40 Off Center Fed dipole (made by
>Fritzel), and for contesting it is, well.. mediocre!  Adding a rotatable
>dipole element to my roof-mounted C3-SS is, for the time being, a
>non-starter. I have a 160 inverted-L with 26 radials.

>Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Hello Eric,

Greetings from PA3-land (s'Hertogenbosch) where I just finished an EMC
lecture to the local AES chapter.

Take a look at the antenna pix on my website

We work regularly during contests, so you may remember what these wires
do for me. Not great, but not terrible either.

Your 160 rig works pretty well -- I was able to hear you well last winter
during CQ160CW when I worked it from W6BX (see With your lot, I
would try to put up a 2-wire or 3-wire dipole with full size elements for
80, 40, and 30 (if I could get supports where I needed them), and get it
as high as practical. And I would plot the wire carefully on a map to see
where the nulls lie. My 80/40 dipole is dead as a doornail on 80 heading
west, because it runs E/W, but it works great on 80 (and OK on 160) as a
top-loaded long wire against my iron fence as a counterpoise.
Surprisingly, the same dipole is "OK" on 40 going west, but is lousy
loaded as a long wire on 40.

Jim Brown K9YC