Re: [TowerTalk] Epoxied bolts

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Epoxied bolts
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:51:22 -0800
My curiosity and the magic of internet search has found an informative site
showing results and techniques for testing of Imbedded bolt shafts in huge
wooden sail boats.  They show me that Epoxy, applied by experts, is
incredible stuff.  This app does not directly transfer to the strength of
the steel rod-epoxy-smooth hole interface in concrete, but is still an eye
opener to how strong properly engineered epoxy bonds are.

They pull tested a 3/4" stainless bolt epoxied, centered,  into a 1" hole
for 3" depth into WOOD, and the Tinneus-Olsen puller ripped  it out at 13.9K
lbs.   Another test specimen, 9" deep in wood,  x 1.5" dia withstood 55K lbs
before failure.   They have good precise descriptions and photos on the test
setups which were required to be done  by Lloyds of London, the ship
insurer.

For a good read, see:   http://westsystem.com/ewmag/19/index19.html

and find the section on Bonded in Fasteners.

73, DX, de Pat Barthelow AA6EG aa6eg@hotmail.com