To: Jerry Reed <w5rcq@cox.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 38, Issue 9
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 15:13:57 -0800
At 01:38 PM 2/4/2006, Jerry Reed wrote:
>I have a couple of tall skinny palm trees about 40' to 50' tall and I am
>thinking about hanging the center of a diople from one of them like an
>inverted V for 40 and 80 meters.  Any one know if the sap or water
>content of the palm tree is a problem?

no more of a problem than the resistivitity of a steel or aluminum tower, I
would guess.  It's conductive, but it's hopefully not in a place or
orientation that causes trouble.  Lots and lots of antennas have been hung
from trees over the years.

>  How do I attach the antenna to
>the palm tree without killing it?  It wouldn't seem good to drive a
>spike into it and a tight band around the tree seems like it might be a
>problem as it grows.

Around here, they drive 3/8" lag bolts into the trunk to hold lighting
fixtures, and then use screws to hold the conduit to the trunk.  You could
probably drill a 1" diameter hole all the way through without doing much
harm.  But, yes, the tight band would be a "not so great" idea.

>   I would like to rig a pulley near the top of the
>tree and run a nylon line through it so that I could pull the center of
>the dioples up and down without climbing the tree.

Excellent idea.  Even better: hang the pulley about 6-8" away from the
trunk (use something like a shelf bracket bolted to the tree).  Then, you
won't be dragging the wires and coax along the trunk all the way up when
you hoist.  Also, while you're up in the tree, consider this:  Maybe two
pulley brackets, at 90 degrees from each other.

Jim.