[TowerTalk] Fw: Blocking a crankup

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fw: Blocking a crankup
From: <jacobsen_5@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:50:17 -0600
From: Steve Katz<mailto:stevek@jmr.com>
To: 'jacobsen_5@msn.com'<mailto:'jacobsen_5@msn.com'>
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 1:36 PM
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Blocking a crankup

I use 2x4s, usually.  For a heavier duty tower, maybe 4 x 4s.  Through the
outer webbing, in one side and out the other, placed so that the sections
cannot move at all and there is zero tension on the cable.  In fact, the
cable can be completely slack if you do this right.  Takes experimenting
with placement, though.  I have the spots marked on the outer tower legs so
I remember where each 2x4 goes (I use two of them).  Trick is to not only
chock the tower sections but do it in such a way that you can actually climb
the tower when you're done, without the webbing leaving such small spaces
that you'd need size 2 shoes to climb...  The ladder's a nice idea but I
feel more secure with a climbing belt, on the tower.  The tower's a lot
stronger than any ladder I have, also...  -WB2WIK/6