Re: [TowerTalk] lightning and insulated elements..

To: "'StellarCAT'" <RXDesign@ssvecnet.com>,"'tower'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lightning and insulated elements..
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 22:16:13 -0500
A grounded tower is NOT less likely to be hit by lightning.
Actually a grounded tower is a little more likely to be hit than a non
grounded one.
However you are still much better off with a grounded tower as you have some
control of where the strike energy goes after the hit. You can route it
safely to earth when it is grounded. Ungrounded, the lightning finds its own
way to earth usually by a path not wanted by you.

Grounding the beam elements to the boom is probably a good idea so that you
don't have arc overs from lightning strikes or near strikes.

73
Gary  K4FMX