Re: [TowerTalk] ladder line vrs coax

To: "Merlin-7 KI4ILB" <>,<>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ladder line vrs coax
From: "k0dan" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 10:22:53 -0600
Try it with what you've got, you have nothing to lose and it could work
fine. Since it sounds like you don't have a link coupled (ala EFJ Matchbox)
or balanced-balanced tuner, then you'll probably  need to use a balun at the
tuner. Some will say a 1:1, most tuners use a 4:1, and you might need a
higher ratio depending on the impedances of the antenna + line (and you
can't predict these very well until you try them in your real world).

You'll know you'll need the balun if you get RF feedback in your rigs, RF
burns on your lips, can't get a good latch from the tuner, etc.! Try the
setup with low power first, and if you have success, gradually increase
power and see if things change.

If you have troubles with pickup & radiation from the feedline, you may have
to take further steps to better balance it.

Suggest you read some of these articles on these links, they describe your
situation better than I can: