Re: [TowerTalk] REMOTE SWITCHES

To: Hector Garcia XE2K <j_hector_garcia@sbcglobal.net>,TOMMY HALIBURTON <ROCKETJ10@MSN.COM>,towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] REMOTE SWITCHES
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 10:26:10 -0500
I am currently using two of the TopTen 6-way switches in my remote SO2R
switchbox.  They have been flawless in operation, even though they do not have
many bells and whistles.  For example, the antennas are either selected or
floating.  You can select more than one at a time, which could be a
disadvantage in some applications, particularly because they work by supplyin
13 volts to the switchbox and then grounding one or more of the band select
lines.  That means that it is theoretically possible to have two antennas
connected at once due to a short in the control cable and not know it.  Seems
to me that, in this context,  the control system that uses a single common
ground and sends 13 volts to one or more of the six control lines is a better
solution.

You might also take a look at MicroHam's switchboxes.  They seem to be very
well designed and built.

73, Pete N4ZR