Re: [TowerTalk] lightning and insulated elements..

To: "'tower'" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lightning and insulated elements..
From: "Gary Schafer" <>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:13:41 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [mailto:towertalk-
>] On Behalf Of Peter Chadwick
> Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2006 7:01 AM
> To: Keith Dutson;; 'StellarCAT'; 'tower'
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lightning and insulated elements..
The overhead HV lines in the UK (132, 275 and 400kV) all have a grounded
> top conductor. Apparently, they don't get struck
> as often as you would expect if a high grounded conductor is more likely
> to be hit. Which leads me to think that there may
> be something in this discharging idea.
> 73
> Peter G3RZP

The overhead grounded conductor is there to intercept or take the hit before
the power carrying wires get hit. The overhead conductor provides a "cone of
protection" for the other wires. It does not prevent any strike from
happening. It is impossible to cause enough discharge to equalize a charge
in an area. The earth can supply many times the amount that can be bled off.

Gary  K4FMX