Re: [TowerTalk] lightning and insulated elements..

To: "Ian White GM3SEK" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lightning and insulated elements..
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 14:00:12 -0500

> Peter Chadwick wrote:
>>At one time, lightning arrestors with radio active tips were used, the
>>idea being that the extra ionisation would attract the
>>lightning bolt to the arrestor rather than teh building inteneded to be
>>protected. Whether the efficacy or otherwise was ever
>>proved is another matter.
>
> No, the extra ionisation was too localised to make any dramatic
> difference. What they did find was radioactively contaminated rainwater
> running down lightning conductors... and if one of the radioactive tips
> ever was hit by lightning, guess what happened then?

I worked on some high powered RF equipment that used spark gaps for over
voltage protection. They contained enough radioactive material to require a
license.  The radioactive material provided a means of controlling the break
over voltage.  Unfortunately, they were not strong enough to handle the
load. One device fell apart in my hands. I put the remains in a pile,
covered it with a metal pail, and headed for the showers leaving a trail of
clothes down the hall.  I ended up having to go through decon from that one.
By the time the Hazmat team got there I was "squeaky clean" and the only
radiation in the lab was under the pail.<:-))

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com