Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn Foldover winch

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn Foldover winch
From: "David Hachadorian" <k6ll@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:36:48 -0000
From: "Mike Bragassa, K5UO" <bragassa@consolidated.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 1:39 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn Foldover winch

> Several months ago I asked the forum about foldovers and
> received a very
> good response; thanks! It gave me better understanding of
> this apparatus.
> New question: I am almost finished setting the Rohn 25g
> Foldover up; but the
> winch mystifies me. I guess from a boat trailer winch
> getting away from me
> one time. As the foldover was used I did not receive any
> kind winch manual.
> There is some operating instructions in the Rohn
> catalogue.
>
> I guess I need a 'comfort zone' in my mind before I
> operate the winch. I am
> used to winches that click all the way up or down; not
> 'clutched'.
>
> When cranking up or down; does the winch work in the same
> way: merely
> cranking by the operator and there is enough clutch drag
> (?) to hold it from
> getting away from the operator? On the ground with cable
> disconnected from
> the ''boom''; the cable can be pulled and the cable feeds
> out from the
> winch. That scares me!
> I guess that there is enough clutch drag to keep the
> operator in control?
> That, merely his hand holding the crank handle is adequate
> to keep the load
> in control?
> Is the clutch adjustable by the nut on the outside/crank
> handle base? Is
> there a thin line of correct/incorrect adjustment?

Here's how it is supposed to work:

Rotate the winch handle in the "tighten" direction until the
cable reel just begins to turn. Then, hold the winch handle
in a fixed position and you should not be able to unspool
the cable by pulling on it. To crank the tower down, you
have to continuously rotate the handle in the "loosen"
direction. While you are cranking, you are continuously
loosening the clutch just enough to barely let the clutch
slip. If you take your hand off the crank, the clutch will
lock immediately.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.