[TowerTalk] new yaesu rotor failure mechanism

To: "YCCC" <>,"reflector cq-contest" <CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM>,"reflector -tower" <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] new yaesu rotor failure mechanism
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 19:21:27 -0000
Well, while powering up today for the weekend contest one of my Yaesu rotor
control box indicators failed to turn.  So I pulled out one of the spare
boxes and plugged that in... unfortunately when I turned it on the indicator
motor spun up to full speed but the needle didn't move!  Opening it up
showed a broke drive belt... looks like dry rot of the rubber as there are
some other small cracks in the rubber.  Besides looking like a real pain to
replace, does anyone know of a source for these little rubber belts?  And
how to specify them??  It looks to me more like an o-ring than something
meant for driving a gear train.  But anyway, its about 1.5" in diameter, or
about 4.75 in circumference and 1/16" thick.

David Robbins K1TTT
AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://