Re: [TowerTalk] 160 M OCF antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160 M OCF antenna
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 15:16:26 -0600
"Proximity to ground and other structures will detune your antenna -
making a
calculated length actually resonant at a higher frequency.  ..."

For antennas at heights between 1/4 wavelength and 1/2 wavelenght, the
resonant frequency goes up with increasing height.  For antennas at
heights between 1/2 and 3/4 wavelength, the resonant frequency goes down
with increasing height.  This pattern repeats every half wavelenght in
height, decreasing in amplitude as a damped sinusoid.

For antennas less than 1/4 wave high (which this one is), the answer is
more complicated and depends on your ground quality.  For excellent
ground the frequency can go down with increasing height, and for average
or poor ground, the frequency goes up with increasing height.

These variations are not very large, maybe 30 KHz at 160 meters,
certainly not anything close to explaining the 470 KHz difference Jon
experienced. (2.1 MHz Jon measured, and 1.63 MHz I simulated).

Jerry, K4SAV