Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Stripping Gears?

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Stripping Gears?
From: "peter.voelpel" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 15:59:43 +0100
I learned it twice that worm-gear drive rotators also loose their gears.
Two of my Prosistel PST2051 failed with a beam of 0,9m² at 10m height and
only 60km/h wind gusts at that time.
The worm axle pushed the bearing completely out of the housing which ruined
the worm wheel immediately.
I was quite happy it happened during the warranty period and it was repaired

without any problem by the factory, but I still do not believe that those
rotators are good for 2,5m² of windload as claimed, so I use them for real
small antennas only since then

-----Original Message-----] On Behalf Of

In a message dated 2/28/2006 12:02:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, writes:
and clamp and that held it.   Only problem came when we had a really bad
windstorm, instead of slipping,  it took the gears out in the rotor.

        This sounds like a typical  Hy-Gain rotator failure. Is that right?
With the current worm-gear drive  rotators (e.g. Orion, BigBoy, AlfaSpid),
won't suffer the same fate.