Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Stripping Gears?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Stripping Gears?
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 09:53:28 -0800
A cutaway drawing of the M2 2800 rotator shows five (5) regular type gears
between the mast clamp/mast and the worm drive!
 I have noticed that there is a fair amount of movement of the boom caused
by the wind apparently acting on the backlash of the five gears.

The M2 specification lists a braking torque of 17000 in-lbs while also
stating that "Precision wormdrive - cannot be reversed by mast torque; NO
BRAKE RQD.  As mentioned by others M2 voids the warranty if the mast is
pinned to the rotator clamps.

Question is, what does M2 really mean by their braking torque and how was it
determined?  Also how does one determine the torque caused by the wind load
and inertial load of the antenna/mast assembly?

Also note that there are two long elements on one side of the mast vs only
one long element on the other side..

k7puc