[TowerTalk] long mast to bottom of tower

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] long mast to bottom of tower
From: "Stone, Gary R." <>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 16:51:00 -0600
Hi TT,

I have a 45G Rohn tower.  It is 80 feet tall.  I have been trying to
figure (without actually trying a piece of steel) what is the longest
you can have a piece of 2 inch diameter steel mast inserted from the
side of the tower.  Let me explain a little.  If I have to exchange
another rotator I would like to go ahead and endure the expense of
getting the rotator close to the ground so that I can work on it myself
as needed. (I cannot climb towers).  So, if I connect sections of HD
mast material until I get to ground level what is the longest piece I
can slide into place from a standing tower without going in from the

I realize that it would be very short pieces if you stood on the ground,
but suppose you were on a platform 15 feet up (I have a fork lift with a
person lift) then how long a piece of mast material (2 inch diameter)
could you shove into the tower at a time?  Am I clear enough with my

Gary, N5PHT