Re: [TowerTalk] long mast to bottom of tower

To: "Stone, Gary R." <Gary.Stone@va.gov>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] long mast to bottom of tower
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 19:57:18 -0500
From: "Stone, Gary R." <Gary.Stone@va.gov>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 5:51 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] long mast to bottom of tower

> Hi TT,
>

> I have a 45G Rohn tower.  It is 80 feet tall.  I have been trying to
> figure (without actually trying a piece of steel) what is the longest
> you can have a piece of 2 inch diameter steel mast inserted from the
> side of the tower.  Let me explain a little.  If I have to exchange
> another rotator I would like to go ahead and endure the expense of
> getting the rotator close to the ground so that I can work on it myself
> as needed. (I cannot climb towers).  So, if I connect sections of HD
> mast material until I get to ground level what is the longest piece I
> can slide into place from a standing tower without going in from the
> top?

Into an assembled 45G.  Maybe 8 feet if you are lucky. It anin't much.

I ended up hauling 24' lengths up to the top and lowering them down into the
tower where I butt welded them together. You'll need some heavy wall
thickness too if the antenna load is large, otherwise it acts like a big
spring and can beat the snot out of the antennas.

> I realize that it would be very short pieces if you stood on the ground,
> but suppose you were on a platform 15 feet up (I have a fork lift with a

It's still going to be about the same due to cross brace spacing and width
of the tower.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com