Re: [TowerTalk] Guy post reinforcement

To: 'VAN FAIR' <giw@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy post reinforcement
From: John W2iD <w2id@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 15:50:00 -0500
Hello Van,

Since you are apparently not following the manufacturer's specifications, I
would say that the only person who is qualified to answer your question
would be the engineer who customized your particular installation. He should
have provided that info on your drawings. If he didn't, then you didn't get
your money's worth, and you need to go back to him and ask him to revise the
drawings to include that info. (I'm curious - did he stamp them?)  Of
course, if he said you don't need the reinforcement because the 3" pipe is
sufficient, then you are only doing this for peace of mind, and you can do
whatever you like - it makes no difference since the reinforcement is not
needed.

Just out of curiosity, I have a few questions:

1. How high is the tower?
2. Is it already installed?
3. What types of antennas and how much wind load (measured in sq. ft.) are
on the tower, and at what heights?
4. What did you do to the steel pipes to prevent them from rusting or
corroding for the entire expected installed life of the tower?
5. If a freak high wind situation occurs, and the tower falls over like a
tree, in the worst possible direction from a damage perspective, what is the
damage that it will do, and are you willing and prepared to incur that
damage?

Regards,

John