Re: [TowerTalk] Will Resonance Go Up or Down?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Will Resonance Go Up or Down?
From: doc <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:29:03 -0600
 > Jim Lux wrote:
> At 02:56 PM 3/13/2006, doc wrote:
>> Is it fair to generalize that proximate objects
>> will almost always detune an antenna to a higher
>> frequency?
>
> No...
>
> imagine putting a giant sheet of metal near a dipole.  It will tend to
> reduce the resonant frequency because it increases the apparent
> capacitance.
>
> Or, for the example originally given (a dipole close to the ground), the
> ground lowers the resonant frequency. So, when you raise it, the
> resonant frequency goes up.

Sorry, was distracted by a 3yr old ... not to say
that my attention span is any better at times!

I should have asked if proximity to solid objects
typically lowers the frequency of resonance and
increasing distance thus increases the frequency
of resonance and I gather that the answer is generally
yes.

This means that antennas on a tiltover will want to
be tuned a little low when nearer the ground so when
they are lifted they will be close to the desired
resonance.

The van misbehaved today so I could not recover
my tiltover section from the welding shop and do
some direct experiments ... soon and very soon!

Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e

            |_|___|_|
            | | & | |
               {|