Re: [TowerTalk] QUESTION RE FIGURING ADDITIONAL WINDLOAD DUE TO MAST

To: "K6XN" <k6xn@comcast.net>, <TOWERTALK@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] QUESTION RE FIGURING ADDITIONAL WINDLOAD DUE TO MAST
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 01:42:36 +0000
Ted:

     Your method of calculation would give you the outer bound for the area of
the mast.   That is, it's the worst case number, as if your mast were actually
a flat plate 2 inches wide and ten feet long.

     In reality there is some reduction in this effective area figure because
the wind blows over a cylindrical surface, resulting in the wind force acting
on the mast at shallower and shallower angles as it blows around the sides of
the tubing.  How much this reduces the worst case figure of 1.6 sqft would be a
guess on my part.  (A few years ago we had a heated discussion of antenna
tubing shape factor on this reflector and I don't intend to restart it now, but
I might have already.)

     Also, remember that the wind force or antenna size limitation on any tower
is based on that force being applied at a single point on the tower/mast,
usually within a couple of feet of the top.  If you mount antennas more than a
foot or two above the tower top, i.e., stack 'em, you have to further derate
this maximum wind force or allowable antenna area due to the longer moment arm
against which this wind force pushes.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: "K6XN" <k6xn@comcast.net>