Re: [TowerTalk] Bonding entrance panel to utility ground question

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>, "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bonding entrance panel to utility ground question
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 14:50:59 -0500
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>; <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2006 9:03 AM

> At 09:08 PM 3/25/2006, Jim Brown wrote:
>>On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 18:46:56 -0800, Jim Lux wrote:
>>
>> >Here is where it gets tricky.  You'll have to look up the code sections
>> >see if you can bond the antenna lightning protection ground to a
>> >electrical
>> >safety ground.  I'm going to guess that it's not a good idea.
>>
>>I will differ with you on that one, Jim. Under NEC, and most electrical
>>codes, ALL grounds within an installation are required to be bonded
>>together,
>>including the lightning protection system. NEC (and most codes) state that
>>the lightning protection system ground cannot be the SOLE earth
>>connection.

Here there would be two issues.
Our electrical code and the inspector will insist the cable that ties into
the tower and station ground tie directly to the service entrance ground
rods.  It may not tie to the ground wire or be shared as in a ground to the
well.

I'd not want to share the well ground either. It's a good way to lose a
submersible pump. Here, wells (the pump) may only be grounded back at the
panel. It is, after all, and electrical device powered from the panel.

The well does nothing for RF and it does make a good sink for a lightning
strike if the rest of the system is not up to par.

> I'll agree with that.  All grounds (in the same building) MUST be bonded
> together. My comment (which, now that I read it, was poorly worded) was
> whether it's "legal" to bring that lightning ground (from the polyphasers)
> *into the middle* of the "grounding conductor" (greenwire ground) from the
> well pump.  (A "T" intersection, if you will.)

We can not share anything through the green wire. Roger Halstead (K8RI and
ARRL 40 year Life Member)
N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com