Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for advise on new tower

To: Eric Barnes <eric@iknownothing.net>,towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>, n8de <n8de@thepoint.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for advise on new tower
From: Don Havlicek <n8de@thepoint.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 08:12:19 -0500
Eric,
As an owner of 5 Universal towers, let me try to help.

First, do NOT use the B-22 base if you intend to go higher than 40' at
some future time.  Use the B-26 base with 23-40 tower composed of
26-Tap, 22-Str, 22-Tap, and 18 Top.
This will allow you much more flexibility in adding sections to go
higher with sufficient windload.
Starting with the B-22 base, your windload capabilities when you add
more sections of tower will decrease greatly to a point where you will
not be able to add antennas. should you wish.

The aluminum towers do not require the same level of maintenance as
steel towers, as they never need painting or "de-oxidation".  Only thing
I would recommend is replacing the tower bolts every eight to ten years
as they will deteriorate due to galvanic action.  This is possible, even
with the tower in place, as there are two sets of bolts at each leg joint.

Good luck
Don
N8DE