[TowerTalk] FSJ4-50b - Direct burial, or not?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] FSJ4-50b - Direct burial, or not?
From: Brian Moran <brianmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:36:04 -0800 (PST)
I'm coming down the home stretch with a tower, the first for me in this QTH,
and with the long run to it (180' or so) am using FSJ4-50b cable -- something
that I've not used before. I am digging a trench (almost done) for a 3" conduit
containing rotor, steppir, extra control (cat-5), and some extra pulling cords
for the future. I have 8 gauge UF cable going in the trench NOT in the conduit
for an outlet near the tower; I have some massive 75 ohm catv hardline also
going in the trench for no good reason other than I haven't used it for
anything else in the 3 years I've had it, and it's better to store it below
ground :-)

  The big question: Do I put the FSJ4-50b in the conduit or not? I see that
some folks have been using it above ground... buried, must it be in the
conduit?

  Thanks,

  Brian N9ADG