Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 40, Issue 17,60 foot Rohn tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 40, Issue 17,60 foot Rohn tower
From: W4ABW@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 10:49:20 EDT
Just from the standpoint of a past tower I had up in tornado prone North
Alabama let me say this.

My 80 foot Rohn 25 was guyed in 3 places and attached to the top of 3 eight
foot steel posts. It made for a nice look on a small lot. The tower sat on a
small concrete base attached to that base with a pier pin embedded in the
concrete. I later found out that the installer had not used much concrete. (I
was at work when he put the tower up).

I had a TH6 up top and the mast extended about 8-10 feet. I had a 22 el
Cushcraft 2meter beam at the very top. All was turned with a Ham M.

At best this configuration was very marginal. It came down once too from a
direct tornado hit in 1974. (1 of the posts pulled out). It went back up
exactly the same way and was all ok for about 28 more years.

Probably not done by the book but it stayed put. The idea of a house  bracket
was a thought too but I never got around to installing one although I  still
have the one that I bought for this job way back in 1969.

Good luck on your project.

Al
W4ABW