Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcfraft 402CD modification for 30m band

To: "carlos colon" <>, <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcfraft 402CD modification for 30m band
From: "Joe Reisert, W1JR" <>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 11:08:37 -0400

I am using a modified 30 meter beam with parts from a 40-2CD.

Basically, the top hat rods (36" elements after the inductor) are
removed. Next, the spacing is reduced to 140". The boom could be
lengthened (with little performance increase) but I just used a
simple 12 foot boom.  Then the overall length of the reflector is
reduced to 215" and the driven element to 212". I used a toroid balun
at the feed but a few turns of RG8 coax (similar to 40-2 CD) should
work fine. The VSWR is about 1.5:1 but that is no problem.

My 30 meter 2 element shortened beam works great and F/B is over 12
dB. I have had mine in operation for two years.

Joe, W1JR