Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for 12M and 17M rotating Dipole ideas

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for 12M and 17M rotating Dipole ideas
From: "Jim Martin - MM0BQI" <MM0BQI@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 08:01:11 +0100
I constructed a set of horizontal nested (fan) dipoles for 10/15/20 which
cost next to nothing and works perfectly.  The longest element (20m) is
constructed out of aly tube and is a full size dipole (basically the
simplest form of rotatable dipole!).  The centre is an aly plate with the
elements insulated by plastic pipe and secured with U bolts.  Near the end
of the elements I fitted a vertical plastic rod to support wires which made
up the dipole legs for 10/15m.  They are all fed from a common feed point
with a coax 1:1 balun.  The 10/15m wires have very little interaction with
the 20m element.
The result is, low visual impact, strong, simple design and good bandwidth,
efficient and very easy on the pocket.
I also experimented by shortening the length of the 20m aly tube and used a
vertical end loading element. This worked to decrease the overall length and
supported the other two dipoles.
Works for me!
73
Jim,  MM0BQI