Re: [TowerTalk] [YCCC] guy placement questions

To: <wc1m@msn.com>, "Tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"YCCC" <yccc@yccc.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [YCCC] guy placement questions
From: "Jordan, David" <jordand@tycoelectronics.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:01:26 -0400
Define interaction.  Do you mean that 15' is enough so that the
interaction has little impact on the 15m VSWR. Or do you mean that 15
feet is enough to reduce the interaction levels for gain, f/b and
pattern skewing to less that 1 dB.  My guess is that 15' the point were
vswr is no longer impacted.  I doubt 15' is enough to prevent skewing
and other performance robbing issues.

For contesting, 80% of the time this will be a non-issue.
I suspect most of your quality EU run on 15m will be generated from the
60/30 stack with the top 1 left for mults.   Maybe it will be a small
issue for running JA's when you need the top or the top 2 antennas in a
stack.

Now when your not on 15m don't leave the top antenna tuned for 15m. park
it on a less offensive band.

I really think there will be a significant interaction on 10m but it
will not show up much in vswr.

Since we must make sacrifices with multi-band antenna on a single tower,
live with the small issue.  I'm sure you will be able to fine tweak the
15m so the swr is ok.  Don't assume rotating the 40m 90 degrees will
help either.  Put up the antennas as planned and test to see if you can
live with the interactions.  Every setup is different.
If you went by the effective aperture of each antenna, you would not put
the 40m on the same tower or within 50 feet.

David Jordan,
Principal Antenna Design Engineer
DFSS Six Sigma BlackBelt
M/A-COM