[TowerTalk] Rotator "Normal" Ham IV

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotator "Normal" Ham IV
From: "Richard Hill" <REHill@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 15:39:43 -0700
Neophyte question....I have a used Ham IV I'm testing to determine whether
it is in good enough shape to use until I get my Yaesu back from the shop.
My other option is a TV rotor.  When the Yaesu comes back, I'll send the Ham
IV off to be refurbished just because it is an unknown.

Is this normal?

When I turn on the control box, I hear a loud but hollow snap from the
rotator.  Didn't seem nice, so I checked all the wires and all seemed OK.  I
turned the box on, waited a moment, and then rotated the rotator.  I also
hear the same snap when I come to the end of rotation.  I don't hear it if I
rotate a short distance and stop before the end of the rotation.  If I turn
it off and on, I only hear the snap when I'm at the end of rotation.

Thanks for the help.  My first rotator/mast project with a 20 foot push up
and a MA5B mini beam.  Increasing my odds for VU4.

NU6T
Rich

CU in the California QSO Party (CQP)
www.cqp.org,  Oct 7-8 2006