Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Location

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Location
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:35:17 -0400
A tower is like a very large torsion bar.  It has lots of give for rotation
with the guy lines serving as dampers that also limit the travel.  When the
rotator is moved closer to the bottom of the tower the moment changes from a
twisting to shear.  If this is not taken into consideration the system can
end up with undue stress  on the tower legs.  In most systems which are
lightly loaded this isn't a problem. However the mast will serve as an
undamped torsion bar with only the rotator being a limit at one end.  Like
any spring system you do have to be careful of resonance and the amount of
travel allowed. A long mast should have thrust bearings, or sleeves to hold
it *centered*. *One* thrust bearing may be necessary for support if the
weight is near the limit of the rotator's ability to support.   With the
more massive antennas this becomes a trade off between the amount you are
willing to let the antenna swing in the wind and how much weight (and
length) you are willing to put into the mast.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com