Re: [TowerTalk] 30 meter rotatable dipole

To: "Rick McGaver" <rmcgaver@wi.rr.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 30 meter rotatable dipole
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 09:38:21 -0700
At 08:25 AM 4/16/2006, Rick McGaver wrote:
>Has anyone homebrewed a rotateable dipole for 30 meters. I am looking to
>make a single band (30) shortened with some sort of traps. Any direction
>would be appreciated.

Traps are what you use to make an antenna multiband.  What you probably
want is loading coils, or some sort of matching network at the feedpoint

What about a scaled down "shorty 40" type design...Pick your length,
calculate (or ask) what the feedpoint Z is, then make a suitable coil and
tap it to get the match.  Using something like solid AWG 8 or 10 wire,
wound on almost any sort of form, and your loss will be pretty low.

The real question is, "how short"?

You could, for instance, take two 30m Hamstick or Texas Bug Catcher type
mobile antennas and put them back to back.

Jim, W6RMK