Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated Guy Post -> Slack Guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated Guy Post -> Slack Guys
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 10:33:09 -0400
That's horrifying.  I think I would have released the guys on one side and
pulled it over, rather than risk the climb.  Even with everything tight, didn't
the rust give you pause?

K7NV's Yagistress web site has an interesting discussion of pier pin versus
embedded section bases, including finite element analysis of the effects of a
pier pin base on distribution of stress in a guyed tower.  In correspondence,
Kurt commented, IIRC, that the basic Rohn "pier pin" base probably behaves
somewhere between a real pier pin and a fixed base, because it uses a large,
flat plate with a hole in it through which a small diameter pier pin protrudes.
 The result is significant friction between the base and the concrete below,
which of course increases when wind forces put additional downward force on the
tower.

My Rohn pier pin base on 97 feet of R25 shows essentially no signs of having
moved at all in the 11 years the tower has been up.

73, Pete N4ZR (not an engineer)