Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Bolt Quad

To: "denis coolican" <coolican@telus.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Bolt Quad
From: Jim Rhodes <k0xu@iowadsl.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 06:43:26 -0500
I asked the Lightning Bolt guy about that once and he got very
defensive about his feed system. Said the tuning would be all off and
he wouldn't be responsible. Others have said the opposite, that
quarter wave lengths to a switch were needed. I am sure there are
many opinions on this.

At 12:02 AM 4/20/2006, denis coolican wrote:
>This four element Lightning Bolt Quad covers 20, 17, 15, 12 and 10
>meters. It is fed by a common balum. (one input PL259 and 5 output
>pairs of conductors)
>
>Does anyone know what type of balum this is and what would be the
>replacement for it?
>
>I imagine the driven elements for each band has an impedance of
>about 80 to 100 ohms.  The feed into the balum is 50 ohms.
>
>If a person provides a 2:1 balum for each feed, would the unused
>balums be terminated in 50 ohms or left open?
>
>Any more thoughts on this antenna?
>
>Denis Ve6aq

Jim Rhodes K0XU
jim@rhodesend.net

Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.