[TowerTalk] Lightning Bolt feed

Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning Bolt feed
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:17:43 EDT
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 23:02:40 -0600
From: "denis coolican" <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning Bolt Quad
To: <>

This four element Lightning Bolt Quad covers 20, 17, 15, 12 and 10 meters. It
is fed by a common balum. (one input PL259 and 5 output pairs of conductors)

Does anyone know what type of balum this is and what would be the replacement
for it?

I imagine the driven elements for each band has an impedance of about 80 to
100 ohms.  The feed into the balum is 50 ohms.

If a person provides a 2:1 balum for each feed, would the unused balums be
terminated in 50 ohms or left open?

Any more thoughts on this antenna?
The device feeding the antenna is a BALanced to UN balanced transformer
(BALUN) and usually the Lightning Bolt device had a HI and LO terminal with a
common terminal.  The higher frequencies on the HI terminal and lower on the
terminal.    HI terminal nominally would be about 100 ohms plus, and the lower
50 ohms.
I would recommend individual feeds for each band, and a remote switch.  Use
odd quarterwave 75 ohm cable to make impedance transformers.

Norm W4QN