[TowerTalk] Tower needs seperate lightning conductor?

Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower needs seperate lightning conductor?
From: "Beat Meier" <>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 23:07:02 +0200 (MEST)

First of all I have no idea of gounding nor lightning. I have read a few
articles from

I've read in the archive that some people think that you don't need a
seperate lightning conductor for a tower. Is this right?
Some people here were I live think you should put the lightning conductor
from the tower. What of all this is right?

Tower is galvanized steel painted, triangular, 3 legs each 1.25 inch steel
tube and between them
12mm (0.5inch) steel. The elements (6m each) were painted seperatly and
mounted later.
So I think the resistance between 2 elements is very high.
So would it be the right way to take away the paint above and below 2
and put a plain copper wire with crimps and paint over again? What diameter
should be
the copper (35mm, 25mm see also below)?

If I need to put a seperate conductor must it be "pure copper" or are there
other possibility? What diameter must it be?
I can buy here 35mm strand cable (about 7 strands) or 25mm strand where 35mm
is 50%
more expensiv.

I've also heard one time that you should not ground the equipment at the
lightning conductor.
You should put a lightning conductor (maybed as noted above isolated?) and a
lightning conductor? Is this true?
I can't belive it, because at the earth they come together ...

Analog-/ISDN-Nutzer sparen mit GMX SmartSurfer bis zu 70%!
Kostenlos downloaden: