[TowerTalk] New shack on the 2nd floor grounding issues

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] New shack on the 2nd floor grounding issues
From: "Frederick M. Mott" <ab8ah@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 19:11:02 -0400
I am in the process of constructing a new shack on the second floor of my
garage.  The radio operating room is 24 ft X 13 ft and 8 ft 3 inches high on
the second floor.  Presently 2 X 6 studs on the second floor are exposed
without insulation.  My next step is to compete the wiring.  My ground
system around the garage consists of three (3) ¾ inch 20 ft copper pipes
installed into the soil on the 3 sides of the operating room when I had the
footer dug.  The 3 ground rods are bonded together with a no. 4 solid copper
ground ring around the perimeter of the garage about 2 ¾ feet below ground
level.    I installed 3 runs of no. 4 copper wire from the ground rods up
through the cement blocks up into the studding of the first floor to the 2nd
floor.  The height of the second floor to the ground is 11 ½ ft. plus an
additional 2 ½ feet for the ground ring  ground ring around the operating
room connected to the 3 ground wires.  My concern is RF grounding due to the
lengths of the ground wires.  What would it take to achieve a good RF
ground?  I am thinking of obtaining thin galvanized sheet metal and
installing it on the floor, walls and ceiling before I install the drywall
and flooring.  Would there be a simpler or cheaper way to create a good RF
ground?  I will be installing a no. 4 solid copper wire from my tower
grounding to the garage ground system.

I am open for suggestions.  Thank you, Fred Mott, AB8AH