Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Painting...Why not just regalvanize?

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Painting...Why not just regalvanize?
From: Jim Lux <>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 07:20:09 -0700
At 07:07 AM 5/1/2006, wrote:
>I have collected some used sections of Rohn 25, 35, and 45 that are in fair
>to good condition.  In considering the desirability of hot dip
>galvanizing, is
>there a concern that the process may cause the three mating joints to become
>tight and difficult to reassemble?  The sections are sometimes difficult
>to put
>together.  Any experience after galvanizing?

After galvanizing, things WILL be a slightly different shape.  The thermal
effects of being dipped into a pit full of molten zinc will do that.

You might get a buildup of zinc on the inside of a socket or the outside of
a pin that would need to be dealt with.

There might be some come-alonging and/or sledge hammering needed.  I
haven't regalvanized tower sections, but I have worked with other steel
structural stuff. Qualitatively, I'd say that the deformation is less than
after, say, welding.