Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Painting...Why not just regalvanize?

To: <K4VV@aol.com>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Painting...Why not just regalvanize?
From: "Dubovsky, George" <George.Dubovsky@andrew.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 10:37:59 -0400
I had some 45 sections re-galvanized in Bristol, VA (I can't remember
the name of the place) about 2 years ago. The fellow in charge of the
plant used to be a supervisor at another galvanizing plant in WVA that
did a lot of Rohn's galvanizing, and he said it was a requirement to run
a reamer through the bottom of the sections to remove zinc build-up and
flash in order to meet Rohn's requirements.

The re-galvanizing process removes all of the existing galvanizing down
to base steel, and then re-applies new zinc alloy. But, as I observed
while they did my sections, while well-controlled, it is not a precision
operation. I invested a few bucks in an adjustable reamer (Enco or
Harbor Freight?) and spent an afternoon and a few busted knuckles
cleaning out the tower bottoms and bolt holes, and knocking down the few
zinc icicles on 200' of tower.

It was time and money well-spent in my opinion.

73,

geo - n4ua

this email is prohibited.