Re: [TowerTalk] Refurbishing tower sections

To: "Jim Miller" <JimMiller@STL-OnLine.Net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Refurbishing tower sections
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 12:15:26 -0400
The acid bath should REMOVE any existing rusting, thus will stop it by totally
taking the existing rusting off.

It will not stop future rusting.  In fact, once all the galvanizing has been
removed and you have bare steel the rust process will pick up in earnest and
within weeks the whole tower will be brown.  That is why you want to, shortly
after the acid (or other, e.g. sandblasting) process that takes it down to bare
metal, apply the rust preventative treatment, be it galvanizing, "Rustoleum"
type paint products, etc.

73 - Rich, KE3Q