Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Painting

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Painting
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 14:58:33 -0400

> Hi:
> I was wondering along the lines of Jon, about painting tower sections.
> There is some concern about not >being able to see rust, or rusting from
> the inside out. Is there something that can be poured, or blown (how >else
> can you paint the inside of the tubing) that will stop the rust. There are
> automotive products?

Older aircraft (those of the so called "rag and tube" construction) had a
fabric covering over a welded steel tube frame.  The tubing was filled with
hot linseed oil and let set for a while before draining.  Drain holes were
strategicely located.  This treatment worked for many years

I did something similar with the mast that goes up through the center of my
tower.  I capped the ends and then poured in a thinned mix of Rustoleum (TM)
primer. I let this set for a few minutes, then poured it out and let dry for
a day or two before repeating the treatment.  It did eliminate the rotator
getting covered with rust stains, however this is a preventative aid and not
a cure all.  It may retard the formation of rust, but I doubt it would
prevent it.

Galvanizing would be better and on top of that making sure the tower legs
can drain. Typically tower legs that rust through fail due to some
obstruction that causes water to accumulate in sensitive areas.  Even "Mud
Dobbers" building a nest could do it.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com