Re: [TowerTalk] why not regalvanize?

To: "N2TK, Tony" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] why not regalvanize?
From: doc <>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 20:29:07 -0500

Does painting over rust ever really *stop*
the rust or merely cover it over so it
continues to erode and there is an unexpected

I suppose *in theory* some coating materials
seal things so well that no oxygen can get to
the prior rusting areas thus no further action
may occur -- but *in practice* ??

 > N2TK, Tony wrote:
> My Rohn 45 has a light coloring of rust on the upper sections. There is no
> flaking. My thought is to paint it rather than re-galvanize.
> other think, the paint used in comercial towers is
> Water Based Latex Emulsion   under the name of Blended
> Vinyl Acrylic Emulsion , rohn-radian sell it   with
> this use:
> Water Based Tower Paint for use on untreated
> galvanized surfaces. Vinyl/acrylic emulsion resin
> provides long-term protection and performance. Offers
> resistance to weather, ease of application with a
> paint mitt, and freedom from fire hazard. Meets FAA
> regulations for color-coding.
> Hector G

Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e
Ham Links: