[TowerTalk] Metal roof interaction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Metal roof interaction
From: "Jon M. Knodel" <jknodel@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 22:29:33 -0700
Thanks to all those that have given me feedback in my tower project.  I am
getting ready to install it this summer and am again, looking for some help
before I do.  My house has a metal roof that I am afraid is going to interact
with the antennas.

I will be able to completely load the tower with all the antennas that I want
to at the 40' height.  This would put the top of the tower only about 25' above
the metal roof.  Is this close distance going to affect the antenna performance
(3 element SteppIR yagi)?  I can also sacrifice some antenna load and put the
tower up to 60'.  This would be the path I would take if the roof would
interfere with the antenna at 40'  (trading off antennas for additional height
and less interaction with the metal roof).

So, my question is:  how much would the roof interact with my antenna?  Because
it is a SteppIR and fully adjustable, is this a concern at all due to the fact
that it can be retuned easily?  Or would the radiation pattern be adversely
affected?  I appreciate all the help I can get.  Thanks.

Jon, N7XW