[TowerTalk] re Rohn 50 foot mast

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] re Rohn 50 foot mast
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 02:08:16 +0000
dave,

whatever these masts do, they are intended to be guyed at each level. They are built to pretty much hold a tv antenna and maybe a very small rotator and that's about it. That doesn't mean they can't be used for ham purposes such as holding up a wire, but my gut feeling is that you plan to ask too much of yours, especially if you get 80 mph wind. If you put much up there at the top you absolutely have to guy it at the top. The wall thickness isn't that much and they only sink into the section below a few inches. also the top section pipe is only a little over an inch diameter. For what you want to put up there, i think you need a larger diameter and wall thickness.

I have a couple of 50 footers I picked up last year. My original plan was to modify them so each section would sink into the one below it a few feet in the hopes of giving me a 35 or 40' mast that could hold up a loop wire and not need much guying. That way I could get it close to my property line. I came to my senses earlier this year, when I realized the bottom section with all that weight above it, and its thin wall, would buckle easily. It's always a mistake to use a product in other then the way it was designed to be installed. I started buying rohn 25 sections and I suggest you think about going the lattice tower route also. It will be much more robust and no worries in a windstorm. Rohn used to make one that went up 70 feet! 21 guy cables! To me that's insanity.

73,

rob / k5uj