Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing shot

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing shot
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 00:22:08 -0400

> Roger:
>
>     I used a self-centering industrial bearing at the top of my tower,
> similar to:
> http://www.applied.com/catalog/ma/catalog.do?e=10&s=2000776&r=0 .  I lube
> it once each year with marine grease.  It cost about what a TB-3 would
> cost ($70 in 2001.)  Because it's self-centering, it will accommodate up
> to a +/- 2 degree misalignment of the mast and bearing centerlines.  FWIW.

I've thought of those as well as taper bearings (like a wheel bearing of the
proper size but with both races)
In that case you do have to cut inner and outer retaining rings though.

My big problem with any real bearing it getting it in place. It's nigh onto
30 feet up to the top of the mast which is quite a reach.  I'd basically
have to lower the mast down into the tower, unclamp the antennas (one by
one?), remove the TB-3, and then install the new one in reverse order.  I do
have to replace the pig-tails (28' each) which means letting the mast down
any way.  We do have an industrial bearing and fastener supply locally so I
might be able to find one of those self centering ones.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com