Re: [TowerTalk] RE : Thrust bearing shot

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RE : Thrust bearing shot
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 00:26:35 -0400

At 04:08 PM 5/12/2006, hermans wrote:
>Thanks for the idea of using oil soaked hardwood Roger.
>Might be less expensive then teflon.
>Jos on4kj

Even cheaper: use UltraHighMolecularWeight (UHMW) polyethylene (aka poor
man's teflon), or, for that matter, HDPE (high density PolyEthylene), as

Structurally Poly is a whold lot stronger than Teflon.  Teflon is slipery,
but it has very poor mechanical stability.  It's noted for "cold flow" and
changes dimensions under stress. OTOH a thin strip makes a great liner.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2

found in inexpensive plastic cutting boards.  HDPE is great stuff. Easy to
machine (with *SHARP* tools), cheap, very low friction.

You can use a standard hole saw (with cooling air blowing on it to keep
from melting the plastic while you drill) or other woodworking tools. You
can also stack up a bunch of cutting boards, and bolt them together.