[TowerTalk] Toyota RF Problems (was Honda HF antennas)

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Toyota RF Problems (was Honda HF antennas)
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 12:38:53 -0700
On Wed, 24 May 2006 17:39:46 +0000, Jim Jarvis wrote:

>On 20m cw, the cruise control would trip off.

Consider yourself lucky. The computer that runs my 2006 Toyota
Sequoia locked up when I tried to run 100 watts on 20m SSB, reducing
my maximum speed to about 10 miles per hour (I was driving through
the desert in eastern Nevada at the time). Luckily I was able to get
running again by pulling the power leads off the battery, then
restoring them, to reboot the computer.

The HF antenna was a Hamstick mounted to the luggage rack, with the
coax shield bonded to the body adjacent to the antenna. It radiated
great -- when I called the first CQ that locked the computer, I had
three guys coming back to me, and the previous day worked a lot of
17 meters.

The Toyota Sequoia is an RF DOG -- the body is virtually unbonded to
itself, thanks to lots of paint between all of the hardware that
bolts it together. Once I get settled in after a cross country move,
I'm going to tackle a serious suppression job. I don't expect it to
be easy!

73,
Jim Brown K9YC