Re: [TowerTalk] Liberal Arts Major - feed point impedance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Liberal Arts Major - feed point impedance
From: "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 17:32:47 -0500
Lee,

You are getting some good advice here. I went through a similar "learning
curve" with a 160m dipole last fall.

Here's a couple of things to keep in mind.

1) As already stated, the feedpoint values (all of them) will vary depending
upon height, nearby resonant antennas, and to a minor extent the wire and
insulation on the dipole itself.

2) The most accurate location for your Antenna Analyzer is at the feed point of
the antenna. Any other location and the measurements will vary, depending upon
feedline impedance, velocity factor, and line length.

3) If you can't take measurements at the feedpoint, the second best choice is
to use a feedline that is 1/2 wavelength on your target resonant frequency. You
can use your Antenna Analyzer to trim a feedline to 1/2 wavelength by shorting
the opposite end and finding the lowest "resonant" frequency of that coax.

4) It was stated to cut a feedline to 3.525 MHz and it will perform on the
higher bands. (This is true in a practical sense.) But using test equipment, I
did not find this to be the case.

I tried various feedlines (rg-58, rg-59, rg-8x, rg-8, and 9913) and they all
"skewed" on my analyzer. That is to say, if I cut the feedline for half
wavelength at 3.500 MHz, you would expect the resonances to appear at precisely
7, 14, 21, and 28 MHz. They did not, to my surprise! The resonances tended to
shift up by several hundred KHz each time the frequency doubled. So in
practical terms using coax of 1/2 wavelength on the lowest band WILL work fine,
just don't bet a lot of money on the concept if you are in a highly technical
discussion!

Bob, W9GE is right on target... throw it up in the air, if your transmitter
and/or antenna tuner is okay with the match... start making some QSO's... Forty
meters is a great band... You should be able to work EU with that dipole, even
if it is a "sky warmer"!

73 de Bob - K0RC

Message: 9