Re: [TowerTalk] Helically wound verticals

To: <ersmar@comcast.net>, "'Tom Osborne'" <w7why@verizon.net>,"'Towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Helically wound verticals
From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 16:37:05 -0700
I agree.  I built a St. Louis vertical for a club picnic a few years ago.
Even with eight tuned radials we couldn't hear a thing.  The band wasn't all
that active at the time but it was so quiet we wondered if something was
wrong with the little QRP rig we were using.  We tossed a horizontal wire
dipole over a low tree and out popped the signals.  The band still wasn't
great, but at least we worked a few people.  With that vertical we literally
could not hear a single station.

73 - JC, k0hps@amsat.org