Re: [TowerTalk] RE : Mast for rotator at bottom of tower?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RE : Mast for rotator at bottom of tower?
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 20:56:18 -0400

> Jos,
>
> I used a brand new GS-065 bearing on top of a small tower to hold the 6m
> long steel mast and a 5-element 20m yagi at 12m, I used the rotator
> sitting
> at the 6m level for rotation only.
> Weight of mast, antenna and cable was about 90kg.
> After about a year I took the whole system down as I built a bigger tower.
> When I turned the thrust bearing by hand it was a different feel of
> turning
> then on the beginning, a bit sticky.
> When I dismantled it I found no grease at all anymore and already heavy
> worn
> racings by the balls.
> On the new tower I use a TB3 bearing, much better, also using a
> lubrication

After 4 to 5 years the TB-3 at the top of my tower is worn so badly the top
race sets down flat against the bolt flange. OTOH that bearing was badly
overloaded for side thrust. This has bound the system up to the point where
I'm afraid the rotator has failed.  I won't know until I get it down.  I
already have the tribander setting on top of the tower and held in place
with "C-clamps".  Now I have to lower the rest so I can work on the 6-meter
beam and remove the 144/440 arrays.  When back up I'll only have the
tribander at the top of the tower and the 28'10" long 7L 6-meter beam 15
feet above that. I figure removing the 144 and 440 arrays will cut that side
forces on that TB-3 about in half.  (I do have one spare that I can install)

Now all I need to do is get one of my neighbors to pull on the rope to the
gin pole.

> fitting with it which was already prepared for.

> Perhaps your system is not that heavy, but check the presence of grease
> regularly!

Make sure the beraring is designed to be lubricated.  Some are supposed to
be left dry.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com