Re: [TowerTalk] measuring cable loss with an MFJ 259B

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] measuring cable loss with an MFJ 259B
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:22:50 -0700
At 12:13 PM 6/14/2006, Pete Smith wrote:
>It's the latter, and I bet you're right about the variations in accuracy
>with impedance.  The manual states "...The impedance meter is disabled in
>this mode."  Perhaps all they mean is the front panel meter.  I'm not
>clear on just what is being measured in this mode.  My old Autek RF-1, if
>I remember correctly, required you to sweep for lowest X, and then
>converted R into attenuation through a formula.  Alas, the manual went
>with the meter.

rather than sweeping the cable with it open, you might try sweeping it with
a known mismatch at the other end (e.g. two 50 ohm loads in parallel with a
"T"). that way, the match at the meter will always be reasonably close to
the design impedance of the meter, and you don't get all those weird
anomalies at 1/4 and 1/2 wave multiples.

25 ohms would be a 2:1 VSWR, which is a return loss of 9.54 dB.  If you
actually measure a return loss  of, say, 20dB, then you'd know the cable
has a loss of about 5.3 dB.

Actually, you could probably work out a nifty equation/table that would
take "measured Z (or VSWR) with a 25 ohm load" and turn it into cable loss.