[TowerTalk] Fall Arrest Forces

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fall Arrest Forces
From: kb9cry@comcast.net (Phil Camera)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 13:30:15 +0000
What I remember from my safety training (Plant Enginner & EHS Manager for major
chemical manufacturing firm) is that when you fall without any shock absorbing
device, the forces on your body (typical person weighing 250 lbs.) can be up to
5000 lbs of force.  With a shock absorbing device (lanyard, reel, etc.) these
forces are reduced to around 500 lbs.

Obviously a belt is attached around soft body tissue which is not designed to
accomdate a lot of force.  A full body harness redistributes the forces of a
fall down to your hips, which are the strongest bones in your body.

--
Phil - KB9CRY
Lockport, IL